In an attempt at crossing geopolitical boundaries and improving global communication between countries, please allow me to present…
China! Just The “Weird” Stuff
Did You Know (DYK):
- More people speak Mandarin, a Chinese Dialect, as their first language than any other language in the world.
- The Chinese word for civilization (wen) is pronounced the same as the word for pattern, script, or calligraphy.
- China has 60% of the world’s mushroom varieties.
- The word ‘ketchup’ may come from a Chinese word for pickled-fish sauce.
- Half of all pigs on earth live in China.
- China is the most populous nation on Earth.
- One-third of China’s land area is made up of mountains.
- The summit of Mt. Everest, the highest mountain in the world, marks the border between China and Nepal.
- The Great Wall of China is the largest man-made structure in the world, extending 8,850 km (5,500 miles).
- Cricket battling is a popular form of entertainment in China, and many Chinese people keep crickets as pets.
- Stamp collecting is the number one hobby in China.
- The world’s best pencil graphite, which was yellow, was from China. In China, the color yellow is connected with royalty, so American pencil producers began painting their pencils yellow to show they contained high-quality Chinese graphite.
- The mortar used to bind the Great Wall’s stones was made with sticky rice.
- Reincarnation is forbidden in China… you must have government permission.
- China has a dwarf theme park known as Kingdom of the Little People.
- There are roughly 2 times as many Chinese kids using tobacco daily as there are people living in Ireland.
- The Chinese have their own Bigfoot, Yeren, or “wild man,” who is rumored to live in the mountainous forested regions of the Hubei Province.
- Traditionally, Chinese babies wear kaidangku, or open-crotch pants, instead of diapers.
- All of China’s railways lines put together could loop around the earth twice.
- In China, the thirteenth floor is usually left out from hotels, buildings, and vehicle licence plates, and the number four is not used in phone numbers.
- The world’s biggest mall is located in China, and it’s 99% empty.
- In China, over 35 million people still live in caves.
- There are more Christians living in China than in Italy and the Vatican City combined, even though 80% of Italians are Christian and only 5.1% of Chinese are.
- The sunrise in parts of China can be as late as 10 AM because the country joined its five time zones into a single one.
- Table tennis is China’s national sport.
- One in every five people in the world is Chinese.