What are alternative investments?
- There’s a debate over what is and is not an alternative investment
- For example, REITs are often considered alternative investments, but are included in the S&P 500, so how alternative are they really?
I like to use the CAIA Association’s definition of alternative investments by inclusion:
- Real Assets: natural resources, commodities, real estate “REITs”, infrastructure, and intellectual property
- Hedge Funds: global macro, managed futures, event-driven, relative value, equity hedge, market neutral, arbitrage, and fund of funds
- Private Equity: venture capital, buyouts, mezzanine debt, distressed debt
- Structured Products: CDO structuring, equity-linked structured products, and credit derivatives
Featured Blog Post
Continuing our Marijuana Stocks research. With Presidential Election 2016 right around the corner, I thought this a good time to:
- Review the issues around pot stocks
- Explore upside and downside risks
- Identify investment opportunities
Risky, Risky, Risky… so why invest in Marijuana stocks?